Rambling Robert's Travels

This blog chronicals the travels of myself, Rambling Robert, on my next adventure to South America.

My Photo
Name:

I am a world traveller. I do not work as such. I have been homeless and unemployed since 1October 2003. I worked as a chef for 30 years in America.

Friday, May 26, 2006

COLORADO TRAVEL UPDATE

Colorado Travel update
Greetings from Colorado USA.
I am staying in a suburb of Denver (the mile high City), it is called Centenial city. It is a nice pleasant little American suburban town. Lots of well manicured lawns and gardens. Lots of American flags hanging off peoples front porches.
I have been here for about 5 days. I am traveling with Angela from Austria, who has been with me since Miami. We are getting along very well.
Had a 5 star great experience in beautiful Asheville North Carolina. Stayed with an old amigo of mine, my original travelling mate,(with whom I once travelled for 9 months in USA Canada and Mexico) who lives out there and teaches University. We were with him and his lovely family for about 6 days. Shared a magnum of 1990 Lynch Bages,(AMAZING!!) smoked some "THUMPER" and went to a very nice music and arts festival in the mountains held on a lake called Lake Eden. Slept in a tent for 2 nights and remembered why I hate sleeping in tents...Last time I slept in a tent was with a bunch of Berber tribesmen in Morrocco.
Heard some great music from Bands I had never heard of as well as some that I was familiar with. Highlights were... The New Orleans Klezmer Jazz Allstars, The Little Rascals Brass Band, Donna the Buffalo, The Muses, Crooked Still, Toubab Krewe, Avec la Force, and Afromotive. Lots of other bands and stuff too but these were my favorites.
So here I am in Colorado. I have been to a couple of Yoga classes here with my friend of 20 years Suzy. She is a most excellent Yogini and teaches a lot of Yoga classes. Its never too late to learn how to breathe and sit.
I get to go for free because I am special. You dont know how lame you really are until you try to get into some of these poses.
Yesterday Suzy Angela and I went to Rocky Mountain Nastional Park. You must drive to Estes Park to enter the park. Its about a 90 minute drive from Suzies house there is no bus or train, then you have to pay 20 american dollars to enter with your car. 10 american to enter on foot so for the three of us the car was cheaper. Its a lot of $$ to walk in the woods but it is a 7day pass. There is no one day pass.
I used to live about 30 miles (45 km) from this park. Had a great view of the Rockies right outside my dining room window, back in 1985, It is one of the most beautiful places I have been to on this Planet.
We saw Elk, White tail Deer, Two lynx looking cats with short tails and ears like Mr Spock, Chipmonks, Black squirrels, Rabbits, Ducks, Herons, Robins, Blue Jays, Trouts swimming in fresh icy mountain streams...
Had a beautiful picnic on a huge boulder and took a 5 mile (7km)hike. Raw veggies, hummus, guacomole, peanut butter and home made 11 grain bread. Munching out on this huge boulder thats jutting out into this rushing mountain stream causing all these little rapids in the water beside us...
On the way back we stopped at the Estes Park Brewery and had 6 or 7 free samples of micro brewed ales. Oh its tough to be a traveller huh? I dont know why I quit working...
So I am raiding Suzys library and listening to her CDs. Whatching basketball on the TeeVee...She has a ton of Buddhist books,plus a lot of great music and plus my old Jazz on Vinyl record collection is here with her. Just listened to Kris Kristophersons new CD. The silver tongued devil hasnt lost his touch for writing heart wrenching lyrics...
I believe a new anti war protest movement is beginning to ferment in the USA. I hope it is a Peace movement instead of an anti war movement. To have an anti war movement you just bring home the troops. To have a peace movement you have to beat the spears into plough shears. We have to dis-arm if we want to live up to our potential as human beings.
Thats enuf political bullshit for now huh?
So we took Suzies little grand daughter Zoe for a hike in the deer creek park south of denver. It a beautiful rockie mountain foothills trail. only abaout 2 miles each way. She is only 7. We walked slow. We couonted blooming wild flowers on the way. Lots of flowaers. I love springtime in the Rockie Mountains. Super green. Lots of blossoms. We counted 30 DIFFERENT types of wild flowers. Another nice picnic with more home made bread.
We fly to California tomorrow night. The Golden State! Yee-hahh! Oohh, to be home again... Flying into Oakland and getting picked up by friends for a week or so in Sonoma before heading to San Luis Obispo for a week. The two places I used to live for about 20 years all together. Freaky to be gone and freaky to come back.
I love the plumbing in America. You can just throw your toilet paper right into the toilet and flush it all away. There are trash cans everywhere to so it looks nice and clean. Like Sweden. Very clean place too. I like the ice cream here too. Ben and Jerrys and hagen dazs. I think I am gaining back a kilo or two. Best potato chips (packaged crisps) in the world too. Gotta be true.
So
The the Tha Thats all folks. Reporting to you from my motherland... Whilst rebering what Honest Abe says:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -- Abraham Lincoln
Chow for Now
Rambling Robert

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sixteen years ago you sat me down and told me you would always be my friend. I was very much looking forward to seeing you.
It’s unfortunate that you are “so sad and disappointed” for me regarding the structure of my family. Personally, I have never been disappointed in my family or myself. I, however, am very sad and disappointed in you that you were so quick to hand down judgment after such a long absence. But more so that you would pour such effort into traveling the world and learning all you can learn – but you looked into an old friend’s eyes and saw nothing worth learning from me. Here’s to missed opportunities. Sixteen years ago, you obviously lied.
Thank you for being kind to my daughter. I truly wish you well on your journey forward… but I hope you never come back.
Kyra Kindergarten

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home