Rambling Robert's Travels

This blog chronicals the travels of myself, Rambling Robert, on my next adventure to South America.

My Photo
Name:

I am a world traveller. I do not work as such. I have been homeless and unemployed since 1October 2003. I worked as a chef for 30 years in America.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Greetings from Mexico Pacific Coast

Greetings from Zipolite and Mazunte.
Well its been about 2 weeks since my last update. I have left the lovely highlands city of Xela (Quetzaltenango) Guatemala and now I am in Zipolite, in Oaxaca Mexico.Mexico´s real name is the United States of Mexico. One of the states is Oaxaca (wah-HAH-ca).I am staying in a little (population 200) beach side village on the Pacific Ocean about 50km from Puerto Escondido. I have been here since the 27 of February I guess I will be in Oaxaca for another 4 or 5 weeks.
Zipolite is a tiny beach town. The beach is perfect. It is about 1.5 km long and it is soft white sand. The waves are strong and they break real close to shore. A couple of people are washed out to sea by undertow each year and are never seen or heard from again. Those are the lucky ones...
Well no, but...So I have a typical el-cheapo beach front hovel. It costs me 40 pesos per night ($4.00US)It is your basic cement cube.It has a coconut leaf roof. The wood there is in the room is raw unfinished lumber the kind that gives you a splinter if you rub against it. My door is closed at the bottom but is warped to about a 3 inch gap at the ceiling. There is no door nob. There are two eye hooks and a padlock. A nice comfy queensize bed with a moscquito net. The big problem with this place is the complete lack of indoor plumbing.
The big plus is the windows, it has some kind of windows. They are windows but have no screen or glass, but they open onto the most glorious view of the ocean you can imagine. Just unfurled in front of me, pale blond colored sands, crashing waves, blue skies, and people strolling along the beach...Did I mention it is a nude beach?
So my first night in town at about 5 pm we spotted big whales off the coast which turned out to be blue whales.I have seen them for 9 of the 12 nights I have been here. Also I saw my first scorpion. He was about 6 inches long and was in my room. I was freaked out a little, but he scurried away beneath the crack in the door. He has since been back and we have had two violent confrontations, unfortunately he did not survive the ultimate encounter. I wish he had just stayed away.
So anyway, The two American guys, John and Mike are gone after 4 days here and I might meet them in Puerto Escondido or Oaxaca. Probably John will be in USA before I get to Oaxaca and if so well, it was good to travel with you dude.
Mexican food is fantastic. Honestly one of the worlds great Cuisines. You see Mexican restaurants all over the world but they are never as good as in Mexico. Like Thai restaurants in London, or French restaurants in California y´know?
so I have just been chowing down. Mexico is also home to a bunch of the worlds great lager beers like Sol and Corona and XX (dos Ekis) and others and there is this stuff here called Tequilla...
So I leave this tranqillo little playa hermosa tomorrow for Puerto Escondido. It should only take me an hour to get there. Next update from There or Oaxaca.
Here is an interesting thought on the value of frienship especially significant for me since most of the people getting this will have not seen me for more than a year!!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth."-- Robert Southey

Peace to all who read these words,
Rambling Robert

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home