Rambling Robert's Travels

This blog chronicals the travels of myself, Rambling Robert, on my next adventure to South America.

My Photo
Name:

I am a world traveller. I do not work as such. I have been homeless and unemployed since 1October 2003. I worked as a chef for 30 years in America.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Coban Honduras

Hi Everyone, and greetings from Coban Honduras.
Coban is the most famous archeological site in Honduras. In Pre Colombian times, The Maya Indians built a vast city here. I just arrived today about 4 hours ago and checked into Manzana Verde (green apple) hostel. It is the only place in town with a kitchen for guest use. This will be my first Chef Bob cooked meal in two weeks. I am making chicken and vegetable soup with two canadian guys I have been traveling with since Tela, about 10 days or so.
After leaving Tela we went farther north along the Carribean coast in search of warm sunny weather and nice beaches. We arrived in Trujillo and knew this was it. What a lovely little carribean beach town. We stayed in a secluded place about 6 km out of town called Casa Kiwi. Nice hostel over-all but there were some serious fueding going on amongst the management and so it was a bit of a drga. The place is on an isolated beach which is just choice!! White soft sands and lovely blue waters you can walk out abaout 60 meters before it gets deep. We finally got a break in the weather and enjoyed 3 bright sunny days there. Then we were off on a bus to San Pedro Sula, Honduras' second largest city for another fun filled night at the hotel centro.One of Honduras great cheap hotels. We only stayed overnight and split in the morning to go to Lake Ojoa.
Lago Ojoa is the largest lake in Hondurawss. It is a beautiful lake with not too many tourists. Quite nearby is the Pulzanek Waterfalls, Honduras' highest at 43 meters and there are many nice swimming spots near the falls. Spent a whole day at the falls and just hung around hiked a little and swam in the pools. My kind of day.
JWe stayed at a really interesting place outside Pena Blanca, in an area called Los Naranjos at a place called D&D Brewery. Thats right kids a brewery!! Ooohh yahh its a good day when you find the countrys only micro brewery and that he has 6 rooms to rent and a BITCHEN garden and a swimming pool and a good restaurant and a local dude who hangs around and sells ganja.
D&D was a real highlight. It is owned by an Merican guy from Washington named Robert. He makes really good beers and he also makes his own soda pop Including Blueberry and Rootbeer and his own cola and a cinamon cream, all 5 star. Twice a week a bunch of Mennonites come and drop off a few varieties of fresh made breads, including perfectly fine banana bread and some very good cinamon rolls. So while I am talking food, Balleadas are little flour tortillas folded over and stuffed with beans eggs and cheese, I have become addicted to these little delights. They usually caost about 30cents US. Aslo memorable was a soup I am sorry to say I forget the name, it is thick and white and made of corn. It is quite sour and topped off with crushed toasted sesame seeds and a squirt of hot sauce...Awesome, they serve it in a hollowed out coconut shell with no spoon, you drink it out of the shell.
So after we left Lake Ojoa, we spent a couple of night in some highland towns called Gracias and Esperanzas very interesting simple villages, they remind me of Bolivia in architecture, dustiness and un paved roads. And so it goes and now here I am in Coban. I will stay here for a couple of days more, I will go see the Ruinas tomorrow and then maybe one or two days more here and then off to Guatemala.
here is a parting thought from one of my favorite Americans...
"Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. There is nothing in its nature to produce happiness. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of its filling a vacuum, it makes one. If it satisfies one want, it doubles and trebles that want another way." -- Benjamin Franklin
See you when I see you,
Rambling Robert

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home