Rambling Robert's Travels

This blog chronicals the travels of myself, Rambling Robert, on my next adventure to South America.

My Photo
Name:

I am a world traveller. I do not work as such. I have been homeless and unemployed since 1October 2003. I worked as a chef for 30 years in America.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

travel update from far away

Saludos a todos,
Well I thought I would write an update for all the "foodies" who always write and ask about the food and wine situation in whatever country I am in, but I decided to write about something else first.
Yes, so here is something else from somewhere else!
As a young person we had certain expressions like "out of this world!" or "far out" or "too much" which all kind of meant that something was very very good. Kind of equivalent to "Radical!" or "Awsome" in todays " Gringo lingo".
Ahh to be far away. To be so far away that you can`t see or hear whatever it was that you left behind. To be really far away. So far away that "they" will never find me here...like hiding but so far away that they can`t see you. Far out enough so you dont really have to hide at all. Like to just disappear.
To be so far out there that you no longer understand what "they" are talking about at all...how far is that? Can you walk? Can you run? Remember the blues song "you know I might take a bus, or I might take a train but if I gotta walk or crawl on my god-damn hands and knees I`m gonna get there just the same. I`m going to Kansas City. Kansas city here I come..."
How far out is far out anyway? Is that a distance one can measure in Kilometers or do we measure it in "nuerons", in brain cells? I have to be careful here, as i am hoping to save a few nuerons for New Years Eve. I want to have a couple of brain cells left to pickle in Mendoza Malbec on the last day of the year. Is it a state of the union or a state of the mind?
So how far out does the kid need to get before he stops feeling the gravity of their mind machine pulling on the strings of his heart? of his mind? Of his carcass? of his temporal body? The mind parasites. The old thought patterns that seem(ed) so unimpeachable that one never stops to ask if they should be challenged. or is it just fear that stopped me from challenging the inner authority, the voice in the head, that just will not stop. the inner judge that always knows better than the true self? The real me? Can you see the real me...me...me...?
How far before you no longer can hear it whispering "its okay, its alright, dont worry everything is fine. Just play by the rules. and you will be free. You will be okay. See the sign? it says work will make you free.Get a grip on yourself and go back to work... Stop asking yourself this stuff. Stop thinking about this nonsense before you go stark raving mad!"
Is Uruguay far enough? Is Fiji far enough? Morroco? Do you have to go all the way to Katmandu or Timbuktu? Can you get there in the quiet of your room with the incense burning and your legs crossed beneath you thinking nothing but "Ohhhm...Ohmmm...Aum mani Padme Humg" or do you have to buy a ticket to Tierra del Fuego? Get on board the "train to the end of the earth". To the end of the earth? Is that far enough? To Ushuia? To Nanu lei lei? Is it a place you have to get to or is it a time or is it...What?
Of course you can never get away from the burning question
" Why go anyway?" You know "you can check out any time you like but you can never really leave", You know you have to come back sooner or later anyway. They will never let you just go...there are always strings attached, chains attached, old responsibility, traditions, attachments, loyalties...and If you leave then you have to start all over again.
I got a letter from a foodie friend. She tells me my old compadre Chef Wilhelm died in his sleep. We were the same age. We went to the same "ecole de cuisine". It made me weep. weeping at the shared computer in the hostel is decidedly not cool. Not far out. no. not far out at all.
Shall I write about the cheese here in Uruguay? The wine? The beer? The empanadas? "What is a chivito"? "How are the pizzas?" "Can you drink the water"? What about the Parillas? Are they truly the best Meat Grillers in the world? What is yerba mate? Dulce de leche? The meaning of life? What is the meaning of life?
Chef Bill and I were the best. We were friends but rivals. but friends first. We were the best. Then, I quit. I admit it. I just up and quit. Just up and left. I got fed up. I had had enough. I wanted something more real than a review from some one who has never even been a chef. Some one who couldn`t thicken a bechemel with a roux if his life depended on it.
I wanted something more than another restaurant. Is there Something more important than clam chowder in a sour dough bread bowl? an old Chambertain? and old Lafitte? and old D`yquem?
Will there be a rainbow after this storm? I just dont know. i just dont know anymore. We were friends and rivals but friends first. that boy..that man...well he was a hell of a cook and a damn good man.
I am glad I quit! God damn right i quit. I ran away! God damn right...God damn right. and I`m glad! I just hope all my old mates get out before we all die in our sleep. God damn right.
Enough of this. the cheese is excellent here.
Peace and love to all of you.
rambling robert
"All men die, but not all men truly live!" William Wallace

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Thomas Edison

"The sadness of Life is this - the emptiness that we try to fill with every conceivable trick of the mind. But that emptiness remains. Its sadness is the vain effort to possess. From this attempt comes domination and the assertion of the me, with its empty words and rich memories of things that are gone and never will come back."J.Krishnamurti

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home