Rambling Robert's Travels

This blog chronicals the travels of myself, Rambling Robert, on my next adventure to South America.

My Photo
Name:

I am a world traveller. I do not work as such. I have been homeless and unemployed since 1October 2003. I worked as a chef for 30 years in America.

Sunday, June 06, 2010

travel update from Vilcabamba

¡Saludos a todos!
Well, here i am and there you are...What? yes thats right I am back in Vilcabamba Ecuador... Again. This is the third time I have been here. first back in 2005 and then again in 2008 and now, well, here I am again.
This is the famous Valle Sagrado (sacred Valley) The name of this town means Place of the Vilca. Vilca or Huilco is the name of the trees that flourish here. They have been used by the indigenous indian shamans for thousands of years. the seeds produce visions, of the spirit world, (due to the content of a drug called DMT) and as the name would indicate, they are everywhere here.
The place has a year round springtime climate of a near perfect 23 degrees (75 american) almost everyday and it drops down to 18 or 20 at night (62 or 68 american). I am at about 3 degrees south latitude very close to the equator and the town is ab atoub 1500 meters above sea level (4000american feet).There are a few more paved streets here than the last time I was here but still about half the town and almost all the outskirts are just leveled off earth. I am living in an apartment near the river on a dirt road, cohabitating with the lovely and talented Estelita. I am attending 3 meditation classes a week at Vilcabamba Meditation Center, and I am half way through PD Ouspenskys great master work on self realization "The Fourth Way".
Every morning I take a 5k exercise walk. Usually by myself but somethimes a friend will join me. If i am alone, I try to remember my breath as I walk. I am having great success at self remembering and my breathing exercises are really going great. I am getting to where I have always wanted to be. I feel it and I am loving it.
I have been here twice before, and I have renewed many old acquaintences. I am friends with a lot of the expats here as well as a lot of the locals. There is a large expat community here mostly of Gerans, Swiss, canadian, British, Italians, Mexicans and Americans. There is a very acute presence of a certain type of expat. Mostly old radical types and lots of spiritual seekers of all different types. Lots of alternative healers and shamans. There is a new Buddhist center that also does North American Indian Sweat lodges. This place caled VCM (Vilcabamba Meditation Center) is where I take my meditation classes.
So thats about all I have to report...I am living a slow life here an greatly enjoyng myself. Long walks, quiet meditation beside the river, lots of interesting flowers and psychedelic plants. Horses and Burros an mule compose about 20% of the
traffic.
Peace and love to all of you,
Roambling Robert
"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."Clarence Darrow
"A loving heart is the truest wisdom."Charles Dickens
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." Robert Louis Stevenson

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Robert

I went back to Moulin de Chaves again this year. Another great stay-& although the food was fine, I thought of your wonderful cooking.

I heard about you needing to leave prematurely.

With best wishes,
Isaac

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Robert I envy you your long walks in the am. I am staying in Malacatos but a little hesitant to go on my own, especially up Mandango. But that is what I want to do. I might try and stay at the MC for a week, and try the meditation and walks, sounds good to me. I'm a Brit, but live in Taos, New Mexico six months of the year. I thought I would come down south this year instead of North.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home