Rambling Robert's Travels

This blog chronicals the travels of myself, Rambling Robert, on my next adventure to South America.

My Photo
Name:

I am a world traveller. I do not work as such. I have been homeless and unemployed since 1October 2003. I worked as a chef for 30 years in America.

Monday, November 02, 2009

travelupdate from San Blas

Hello from San Blas,
So, The last time you heard from me I was in Creel in The heart of mexico's copper canyon. I got back from Batopilas and the hung around Creet a couple more nights and then went back on the train from Creel to El Fuerte. This is the most beautiful part of the train trip. If you did not have time to do the whole route I would say to do this part. El fuerte to Creel.
Beautiful alpine lakes and wonderful cliffs of different colors. Tree covered islands in the lakes waterfalls cascading down the slopes of the canyon walls. Indian women at every stop in beautiful colored costumes selling the usual baskets fruits and trinkets. But their grace their style and pride affect you as you look into their eyes.
We stopped once for about 20 minutes for a look out view and there were a dozen street food vendors all shouting at once! Good food though. I had a couple of chili rellenos wrapped in flour tortillas and some blue corn tortilla tacos with mashed potatos that were topped with cabbage. Very good indeed!
So myself and roberto and Diana from Tulum all arived after dark and took a cab to Guerrero Hotel. negociated a good price with Don Edino, and I stayed three nights while they split to catch the over night ferry from los Mochis for la Paz the next day. what a great time I had in El Fuerte!
The owner Endino was very friendly and took me to his lake cabin and we got it all fixed up for the following day to go fishing and boating and swimming at the lake. We ( me him and his two friends) went out there and they caught a bunch of fish and we all drank a bunch of beer, a bunch of beer. and went swimming a little and saw a beautiful sunset and drank a bunch of beer and one of them gets his guitar out of his truck and they all started singing. these old mexican "I am in love and my heart is broken" songs. All drunk and singin the blues under a night of thousand stars and the clarity of the milky ways cosmic clouds. No on vomited.
I love my life. Next morning I am off about 10 am and I change buses in Los mochis and arrive in Mazatlan at about 5pm. I am having trouble witht he phone system and can't get hold of my friend who lives here, so i taxi to the Mexico Hotel, and get a room with a private bath for 100 pesos( $7 USD). Only two or three blocks from the Malecon. It is old and run down and tired but good enough for me. I call and get in touch with my buddy and he picks me up and we go driving around and drinking scotch. We wind up at a street food stall that sells giant baked potatoes with like sour cream and cheese and stuff like. Really good! So then he comes back for me the next day and i stay at his house for a week.
Just hanging around walking on the beach. Mazatlan is deserted no turists anywhere all empty hotels and bars and restaurants.Ocean view rooms right on the malecon on the beach, from 200 pesos ( $15 USD).
I am waiting for my drivers license to arrive from California. It got sent via regular mail and now I am not sure how long this might take.
Meanwhile, I am here. I have wanted to come to san blas for 20 years since i first heard of this sleepy little fishing village. it is "famous" for bird watching and infamous for bugs.
Mosquitos are said to be bad here but the jenjebes are the worst. little tiny sand flys. i hope they are not so bad. i will let you know soon.
Now it is 2 weeks later and i am going to mazatlan tomorrow.I have had a very nice stay here in San Blas.Nothing much to do around here except walk on the beach or surf or swim,in the ocean.There is a nice beach with some waves. I go there every morning for a long walk and thenI just hang around my room at La Quinta California. I chat with other guests or the owner.
I have been studying my spanish and reading rodney collins Theory of celestial influence. which i have completed! Wow. a real hard book to finish so i feel good that I have done it. I am reading Beelzebubs tales to his grandson again for the 3rd time now. It is going well and I am understanding much more each time I read it.
So I really enjoyed my time in San blas. it is very peaceful little town and the beach is nice for long walks. Of course there is the issue of bugs. Aye Caramba there are a lot of bugs there. Not as bad as i had heard, but still there are a lot of bugs there! The worst are the no-see-ums, or jejenes is the mexican name. These little devils sting you and they itch for days!
So i am in back in mazatlan, I just received my new driver license from California in the mail (Thanks RB!!) and tomorrow morning i will go to Guadalajara for 5 days or a week and then down to the pacific coast and head south to Oaxaca.
I am loving mexico and I am going to stay in Oaxaca for at least 5 weeks for all of December and the first week of january.
So here are a couple of thoughts to ponder until my next update.
Peace and Happiness to all of you
Rambling Roberto

"If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour?" Thomas Jefferson
"Human identity is no longer defined by what one does,but by what one owns." Jimmy Carter
"You got to love what you hate." Hank Levine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home