Rambling Robert's Travels

This blog chronicals the travels of myself, Rambling Robert, on my next adventure to South America.

My Photo
Name:

I am a world traveller. I do not work as such. I have been homeless and unemployed since 1October 2003. I worked as a chef for 30 years in America.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

travel update from petaluma

Greetings to all of you.
I am in Petaluma California.I am staying with some friends and have only just arrived after two weeks in Colorado. I love the mountains in America during the summer. I really enjoyed what I saw in the apalachian mountains in Tennessee and North Carolina and Then to go right to Colorado and the rockies was just a great treat. The thing about the rockies that I find so wonerful is all the flowers. Shah the whole world seems covered in flowers. Also it seems there is a cool running stream with rapids or a waterfall virtually everywhere you look. This is partly because this is where the trails are and partly because there are a lot of waterfalls and beautiful streams, brooks and creeks everywhere.I also got to see some elk, which are like a huge deer and have great antlers and a mane like a buffalo or a lion!
Denver is a big city and I stayed about 20 minutes out side there with friends John and Suz. I have known them a couple of lifetimes and Suz is my yoga teacher. She has a lot of wisdom and is a great teacher. For Suz it isnt just about the poses, it is the yogi mind that is the key. It is the breath. It is about smiles. Her philosophy is simple "Eat good things, Be Kind, Tell the Truth" John is a songwriter and works in a bar. He is an excellent finger picker and writes real well.
They have a whole managerie of 3 dogs (two crazy one old) heck the sanest one is called Dufus so ya know...And 3 cats of colorful mind...And a now former 20 year old chinchilla named sidney who passed from this organic plane while I was there and now he rests in peace beneath the backyard.
I saw a good exibit on asian art and "American Western" at the Denver Art Museum and went to an event called "first friday" there. This event happens on the first friday of every month.
There is a small area where all the art galleries are crowded into. Maybe 4 streets long and two streets wide in the Down town of Denver filled with all these galleries and nightclubs and bars and restaurants. So once a month its a big open house and all the galleries give away little snack foods and you can buy wine and walk around and look at art. Lots of bands set up in parking lots and play for free and lots of people mill about and have fun. Saw some good art, heard some good music and had some not so great mexican food, which is a bummer in a city full of good mexican restaurants.
I also got to spend a lot of time catching up with Suzies grand children, who range in ages and interest from a 23 year old bass player in a rock and roll band to 7 and 10 year old girls who just steal my heart.We babysit by taking them to the neighborhood pool and swimming and picnicing. Great fun!
So here I am and I am here.I love Sonoma county. I lived here from 1977 to 1979, on the russian river between forestville and guerneville mostly. I am in Petaluma visiting at the home of my old buddy Morty who was my room-mate back in the days when I lived here. Back in 1974 we were in NJ and he was leaving to go and hitch hike to California he gave me a book called "In Search of the Miraculous" which changed my life forever.
He has a nice place here and stays with his wife and kids, but most of his kids are away at school most of the time now so its really just him and wife/mother Deb and thier daughter the Moon who is 10. They have a little guest house in the back and that is where i am staying. I am gaining a few kilos.
Not far from here in Freestone is Americas best bakery, the Wildflour Organic Bakery, which I usually call the Birkenstock Bakery. I go there everytime I am here. Fabulous breads. Fabulous scones, cinamon rolls, biscotti, everything these bearded birkenstocked hippies make is ab-fab!! We also took a cruise out to Marin County (what the wah hay it was a beautiful day and we were joy riding around stoned in the Mercedes with the roof down). It was time to visit the Roughe et Noir Cheese Factory. We got the gran rebaja (big discount) 6 cheeses for $20.00. All types of brie. like sundried tomato or pesto or garlic or blue cheese or regular or triple creme.Shahhh we took them all.Sat by the lake with our warm bread and cheese and so it is and so it goes...
Went to the Bodega bay wine and jazz and art and seafood festival. California has a lot of weekend festivals in the summer. So I got to hear some jazz and be festife with my life friend Hank. Hank is a guitarist extraordinaire and an old Gurdjieff-nick from the 60s and he has been something of an isnspiration to many of his friends including myself. He lives with heart. He is not doing so well physically these days but we had a great time. I am going over to his house tonight after I finish this update.
I had a moment of truth, a satori experience on the airplane coming from Denver to San Francisco. I usually hate to meditate on an airplane, but I was in the mood and I slipped right into this groove and the next thing I know I am breathng mindfully and seeing the truth in a kind of still life animated movie about how everything is determined by these vast mechanical laws of attraction magnetism and gravity Radiating out of or off of or by extraterrestrial beings (ie planets moons stars comets) radieant forces and also by terrestrial forces and we are being influenced and guided by thousands of rays of attractive energy from all different directions at once some as mundane as the TV and memories of how grandmother taught us to behave, others as complex as situational human dynamics can make them.This is how everything we "decide" to do is really decided. A continuing series of causes and thier results from all these out side infuences and not by ourselfs from within at all, unless we have developed a true "will".
I am taking a train to Paso Robles on the 9th of September I will b e in San Luis O bispo for 9 or ten days. If anyone wants to see me email me or call me at RB &Tawnyas
Well here are a few quotes to think about while we are apart...
Peace and Love,
Robert
"Human beings are more alike than unalike, and what is true anywhere is true everywhere, yet I encourage travel to as many destinations as possible for the sake of education as well as pleasure". Maya Angelou

"Illusions, mistaken for truth are the pavement under our feet. They are what we call civilization"...Barbara Kingsolver

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."... Thomas Edison

"One should never forbid what one lacks the power to prevent."... Napoleon Bonaparte

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home