Rambling Robert's Travels

This blog chronicals the travels of myself, Rambling Robert, on my next adventure to South America.

My Photo
Name:

I am a world traveller. I do not work as such. I have been homeless and unemployed since 1October 2003. I worked as a chef for 30 years in America.

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Krakow, Poland

Greetings from Poland,
Hi everyone, I am now in the beautiful city of Krakow Poland. The weather is perfect today about 25C and a clear blue sky. Excellent day to stroll around in the beautiful old town. The old town has a big flea market today and all these folks are selling really nice old antiques and nice jewelry made of amber.
Polish people are very friendly and always have a great smile for you. This is by far a lot cheaper to stay in than the contries I visited in Northwest Europe. I am staying in a nice hostel called Nathans Villa. They also have a hostel in Romania in the town that dracula was born in and I will stay there when I go to Roumania I am paying about 50 slotys per night which @3.5 slotys to the dollar is about 14 dollars per night and it includes breakfast and get this...FREE LAUNDRY!!! OOOh yeah the kid is smiling now!! These people are really friendly and give excellent advice and all the staff speaks English in a country where English is NOT real popular.
I have been drinking a bit of Polish beer and a type of vodka called Buffalo vodka, or something like that. I need to cut back a little as I felt a little frazzeled this morning.
Polish food is very interesting and quite delicious. Chantrelle mushroom season is happening and the Poles LOVE mushrooms. I ate in a little Peasant style restaurant last night with a high school teacher from New Zealand. A very cool woman of 34 years. She is here to find and meet long lost relatives whom she has not seen in 30 years. Imagine how excited this woman is.I think that is so cool... So we go to this restaurant and it has been given an award from the President of Poland for being "THE BEST RESTAURANT IN POLAND" wow.
It was really very good. We had a sour milk sausage and dumpling soup and a wild mushroom and pasta soup and then tried 3 types of piroshki, which are like little polish raviolis. Some filled with minced meat, some with green onions and a rustic farmers cheese like a firm ricotta and some with cabbage and mushrooms. Excellent Polish Peasant bread with a big coffee mug of Lard and chunks of bacon to spread on the bread. Yuuucchhh. No thank you!!
Dinner was about 8 bucks each.
I went yesterday to the horrific Auschwitz concentration camp. I cant even think about it. I left after 2 hours having only seen half of it. I didnt go to Birkenau next door at all. I just cant get my head around this shit. Sorry its just too terrible for me to deal with. I walked on the path that literally millions of condemned men women and children walked upon and I just got too emotional to continue, you know like something in my head just couldnt deal with it. Too heavy. I wont go to anymore of these camps. I dont have the constitution for it. I hear too many ghosts crying in my heart.
Today I am checking out castels and old churches and tonight I will go to a little jazz club called Harri's. The church of Peter and Paul is beautiful. Great artwork. This is the church where the current pope used to be the priest.
Poland is a blast I love it here.
I had a great time in Netherlands, particularly Utrecht. What a wondreful city to stroll around in. I stayd with a totally cool Servas hostess named Ans. She was a delight, and a most excellent cook who fed the boy real real well!!! It is great to have a home cooked meal now and then. Amsterdam is Amsterdam it is a little more expensive now that they have switched from Gilders to Euros, but otherwise the city is just the same as it was in 1999.
Gonna sign off now I will send you all a picture taken a month ago in Stockholm Sweden and will send another update in a week or so.Thank you everone who has written me e-mails lately its great to hear from you . I hope to hear from the rest of you soon!! Nothing but love to all of you.
Your friend,
Rambling Robert

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home