Rambling Robert's Travels

This blog chronicals the travels of myself, Rambling Robert, on my next adventure to South America.

My Photo
Name:

I am a world traveller. I do not work as such. I have been homeless and unemployed since 1October 2003. I worked as a chef for 30 years in America.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

GREETINGS FROM MALAYSIA

Greetings from Malaysia,
I am now gone from India after 4 months and three weeks there. i stayed all this time in the south, never going farther north than Udaipur in the West or Tirupati in the East. I shall return (some day) and tour the north but I dont know when. I will be here in Malaysia until 4/6/07 when I jet to hongkong for a week and from there who Knows?
The last week in Chennai, was spent at the Krishnamurti Learning Center on Greenwsays road in South Chennai. It was very how shall I say "enlightening" I really learned a lot about myself and the chattering of my mind and I met a ot of fantastic people, some a little ahead of me and some a little back of me on this path to find what is and where i stand in the Universe.
Bloody HOT!! the whold final week it was like 42 to 46(108-115F) in the day and 28 to 32 (82 to 90F) at night...Hottest place I have ever stayed. Like Seville in summer. Too damn hot. taking 5 showers per day and standing under the ceiling fan naked to dry/cool off.
NOw Malaysia with its 32(90F) degree days and 22(74F) degree nights seems so cool and refreshing. totally jet lagged in Kuala Lumpur and not in the mood at all for yet another crowded dirty asian city, i arrived at 5 am and took a sleek wonderful clean modern train to the Central station then a bus to the bus stop and then a wonderful slick A/C thick cushy comfy chair bus to Lumut and then a ferry to Palau Pangkor. Which is where I am.
This is a lovely but very small island off the west coast not too far from Thailand. I got a cheap little A frame room very basic just a nice comfy mattress on the floor and a ceiling fan and a light, with a shared bath for 6USD and a 5 minute walk to the beach. Enough for me. Enough. E-N-U-F. my new favorite word.
Last impressions on India...Whoa its like I just never got my head around the dirt and filth. The rivers are like open sewers the trash and garbage are everywhere. They are buying hydrogen bombs instead of sewage treatment plants. Everyone (everything!)uses the street as a toilet. People cows goats dogs cats pigs sheep oxen you name it. No one notices. O one cares. it seems the more sacred a river or lake the more septic it is. people shit and pee in the lakes and rivers all the time. They throw their rubbish everywhere with no second thought. Out the window of the bus car house just wherever they are they make a mess.
Food was outta this world. the best. whoa i just love eating in India. People are so friendly and loving kindness is everywhere for foreigners. Sadly they dont have a charitable nature. The locals who are displaced by the modern area are everywhere sleeping in the streets begging all day, homeless, helpless, friendless,meaningless,utter despair and destitution. But if you have a few rupees its a great country. Cheapest place I have ever been. I hardly drink and dont use tobacco and hardly smoke much charas or ganga and it cost me 11.00USD per day average after all that time including my dental bills (got a new crown on a lowere rear molar for about 75 USD and all ground transport and my visa fee of USD$78.
Here is a neat grafitti I copied off a wall by some passing american traveller

"I pledge obedience to the rag
Of the united states of Amnesia
and to the New world order for which it stands
one nation, under surveillance
with gun rights and abortions for all.
Amen"

Well, what can I say? I hear we have a new "War Czar" at home. That must be seen by some as "progress" I remember when a "czar" was considered a bad thing.

As always here are a couple of parting thoughts. Peace and love to all of you.

"Our own life is the instrument with which we experiment with the truth." -Thich Nhat Hanh.

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." Martin Luther King

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home