Rambling Robert's Travels

This blog chronicals the travels of myself, Rambling Robert, on my next adventure to South America.

My Photo
Name:

I am a world traveller. I do not work as such. I have been homeless and unemployed since 1October 2003. I worked as a chef for 30 years in America.

Friday, July 11, 2008

Travel update from Vilcabamba

Hello, my fellow three brained earthlings,
It has been a month since my last travel update. Usually I write a little more often than this. Well at least in the past this has been the case. The longer I travel the slower I go. The slower I go the less I have to say. So as far as just reporting the places i have been and the things I have done, I havent really been to too many places or done too many things! After all I am a "human being" not a "human doing"... and for that matter I am not even that but rather i am "being human". And at this moment I am being human in Vilcabamba Ecuador. http://www.vilcabamba.org/
Vilcabamba is a quiet little town not too far from Loja Ecuador. Just about 150km north of Peru. This place has been a spiritual center for many many centuries. This valley is sacred to the indigenous peoples here. It was sacred to the inca and also to other indian tribes before and after the inca came and went. Many medicinal and psycotropic plants are to be found here. San Pedro cactus is the most famous http://www.mescaline.org/sanpedro/index.html
But there are also tobacco, coffee, and of course huilco. Huilco or vilcas or cebil seeds have been used and cultivated for their psychedelic properties for over 5000years!
The valley itself is also famous for its drinking water. The water is said to be the primary reason that the people here live longer than anywhere else in the world. The place is sometimes called the valley of longevity. There are many vitameins and minerals in the water and they contribute to the health of the people here.
The town is full of expats from all over the world. That is from all the wealthy countries of the world and there are a lott of Americans here. I have met a few old lmerry pranksters here and Tim Learys old press agent lives here as well. A rather cool place. I was staying the last 10 days at a great hotel called Izkayluma (sp?)until yesterday but now I found something else.
I am renting a room from a Kiwi Cowboy a vegetarian named Gavin who takes tourists out on horse rides through the national parks. he has been here for 25 years. A rather strange guy but I like him. He gave me a book of poetry he wrote and is also in the process of publishing a book. I am renting a room with my own bathroom and use of his kitchen for $90.00 per month. I reckon I will stay here for another month.
I have fallen in with a bunchof Gringo expats and fleeced the sheep last wednseday night at a game of "Texas hold`em". 10 cent game but I won 17 dollars. not bad when your rent is 90 bucks a month! These guys are not experienced Poker players. Me? I have been playing since I was 5 years old. Like taking candy form a baby...I believe I will play with them every Wednesday while I stay here. It beats working!! Lots of people have been watching this game on TV and they think they are poler players. Of course everything on TV is bullshit (except for professional wrestling) and therefore of course no one can learn anything from the idiot box except how to be a better (more stupid?) idiot!
I have a membership at Craigs book exchange. It is an old establisdhment here in town, that was founded by an old merry prankster years ago. Now run by an old hippy sculptor/potter from Las Vegas named Lee who is rapidly becoming one of my favorite people. i am reading TE Lawrence´s book (Lawrence of Arabia) called "the 7pillars of wisdom".
I am loving my life as usual. There is a blues Reggae band at La Jardin Escondido which is a little mexican restaurant with a garden in it tomorrow night. if any of you want to find me, thats where i will be.
so that is all for now. i will just be here, just being here for a while. If any of you wants to retire from the "world" this would be one of the first places I suggest you look into...
So here now (as usual) are a few quotes from some illustrious 3 brained beings from the past...

"The extent of your consciousness is limited only by your ability to love and to embrace with your love the space around you, and all it contains." Napoleon Bonaparte

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."Buddha

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." Marcus Aurelius

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobby- looks like slo poker rides across the world!
nuttin but love
Greg & the family holt

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home